Sunday, July 31, 2011

Plan B

Well, I had all the time in the world today...so I planned a trip down the Nippersink. The morning was all on schedule. We had one turn to go before we got to the launch, then I would take the 15 mile trip down the creek and meet back up with my ride later in the day. We came around the last bend to find that the bridge was out at the creek. The launch was just around the bend over the bridge. The only way to get to the other side was to go down around the south side of Wonder Lake and come around the other side of the lake. So that's where we went.

My excitement got the best of me. We were all spun around trying to make our way through neighborhoods and we came to Nippersink Creek. I didn't know where on the creek I was, but I got in and sent my ride on his way. The creek was moving pretty good and I was stoked to be on my way to a great trip. Then the creek opened up a little and I saw some pontoon boats docked behind some houses on my right..... That's when I realized I was on the wrong side of the dam. Nippersink comes from the West INTO Wonder Lake then continues North. At the north end of Wonder Lake is a dam.



I didn't loose hope. I paddled into Wonder Lake and headed North to the dam. It was a hot weekend day, so the Lake was pretty busy with jetskis and power boats. I kept my distance and kept cutting the wakes till I got to the dam.

The dam is county property and was fenced with "No Trespassing" signs all over. I jumped out for a second and looked down the hill to see more fences... it was over.

LUCKILY, Wonder Lake is HUGE and I had never been there before. Plan B was now in effect and I was going to be on the lake for the day, so I made the best of it.

Right in the middle of the lake, there were a few sailboats running a course. I was right next to them as they came around. It was pretty cool. The far south side of the lake dropped to about a foot deep. There were no homes, no boats, and no waves in this section. It was so peaceful and a nice break from the 2 hour paddle around the busy lake. There were also fish getting riled up as I passed through. All you could see was the black mud get turned up as they swam away.

I gave my ride a call after I found a place to sneak off the lake. I had about an hour left in making it all the way around the lake at that point. I crossed over a few pretty big wakes and the old canoe took them pretty well.

Although the original plan fell through, the back up turned out to be quite enjoyable. I sent about 3 hours making my way through the chop and around the lake. There were a lot of fishing flying out of the water and I saw my friend Blue Heron again. I don't think I would have made it out onto Wonder Lake (I think you need to have a city permit) if I didn't accidentally get stuck out there today. I am glad that it all worked out. After talking to some folks and looking at Google Maps, it looks like you can portage around the dam. Down the hill past the "No Trespassing" signs and across county property. You can get onto the Nipper from Wonder Lake, but just use Keystone Landing and life will be much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment