Saturday, July 2, 2011

Busse Woods

We made it out to Busse Woods today and we had NO TIME CONSTRAINTS!! This may be the first time that I was able to get out and not have to worry about getting off the water. This was our first trip out to Busse and it was just as I expected. The weather was great. It was overcast so the sun wasn't beating down on us. There was also a breeze. It was a 85 degree breeze, but it was still a breeze.

We dropped in right by the rentals and headed north. We passed a lot of fisherman and there was one line that I almost clipped. I saw it at the last second and hit the brakes. We passed under rt 72 and headed into the shallows.

North of 72 was very quite and peaceful. We dipped into the first cove on the east side and met a crazy fish. He was flopping out of the shallow water. He came right up to the boat and I was a little nervous that he was going to jump in! He ducked back under the weeds and swam away, so we moved further north.

We saw both a Blue Heron and a White Heron sitting in neighboring trees. It was pretty cool to see both birds in the same area. The Heron has become our unofficial paddle mascot, as we see one every time we are out. Up into the next little lake we saw quite a few more White Herons in the very shallow water. We didn't go too far into this lake because of the shallows...

We headed back south down the east side of the lakes. We came across the "poop tree". There is a bald tree that must be a hot spot for the birds because everything under that tree was covered in bird poop. I mean it was COVERED in poop.

We made it down to the dam at the South Pool then headed back to the launch. I didn't get very close the the South Pool dam because I could hear the water falling from about 100 yards. I didn't want to be anywhere near that.

Past the North Pool dam (far less noisy) we came around the final bend of our trip. We found a huge fallen tree and stopped for a photo. We were really able to get deep into the branches. It was pretty cool.

I really liked Busse Woods. It is about 40 minutes from our house and it was large enough to make an adventure out of. I liked that it was a lot of little lakes and channels. There was plenty of wildlife to watch also. This made it to the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment