Sunday, July 3, 2011

Just One More Bend

I think I have found one of the things that I love most about paddling. It's the curves. I find myself drawn to rivers, creeks, and connected lakes more than just a large round lake. I was curious why that was. I like the sense of adventure and I like to try and put some miles down, but I could not tell you why exactly the winding rivers and creeks appealed to me.

This last trip to Busse Woods I realized that it was the curves of the shore that had my interest. I love the wonderment and suspense of not knowing what is around the next bend. They also act as a milestone. "I will just paddle up to this next point", then I see that the NEXT peninsula is in sight..... "well that next one isn't far. I will paddle up to that next one" and so on and so on.

The turns, points, bends, coves, peninsulas, bays, and obstructions are what keep my attention when paddling. I am not saying that the big oval lakes are not beautiful and fun, but the tight windy rivers connecting them are what I have fallen in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment