Saturday, July 16, 2011

Border Crossing

I continued my journey up the Fox River this morning. I started where I left off on the Heron Run portion. I dropped in at rt 173 at the State Park then headed north. It was nice and overcast, so the sun wasn't blaring down on me yet.

The section of the Fox from 173 to the state line is a nice mix of homes and nature. There were a lot of fallen trees that added to the beauty of the shoreline. I saw some Herons, but nothing like the section of river to the south.

In mile 2, I crossed into Wisconsin. If it wasn't for the sign, I would not have known that I made the cross over. Nothing changed much on the shore or in the river. This area of the Fox was very slow moving so heading into the current was never an issue. The only time you realized there was a current is when you stopped for a second and your boat would start to slowly spin.

There was a lot to look at as I got further into Wisconsin. I came across a few massive trees that had fallen into the river, making a very cool sculpture of limbs. There was also a section that I came to that had very high banks that separated the river from a corn field. I could smell the corn when I got around the bend there. It was pretty interesting.

I also came across a very shallow lily pond on the East side of the river. I paddled in a few hundred feet and saw some very nice lily flowers. I also came across some fish hiding in the mud. They kicked up some murky water as I came close to them.


I spun my trip around as I came to the Wilmont Raceway on the West side of the river. It was starting to drizzle also at this point. It wasn't enough to scare me back, but it was time to head back down with the current. As I was turning around, I came across a snapping turtle that was floating in the water. He was huge so I kept my distance.

This area was a pleasure to paddle. It was very quite and peaceful. There was one portion that I coasted through and didn't even hear the birds for a few seconds. It doesn't get any more quite than that!



No comments:

Post a Comment