Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Searching for the Bubbler

Last week I took advantage of the calm water out on the Chain of Lakes last week.  I launched at Lighthouse and was told to head towards the Fox River at the West side of Pistakee Lake.  Where the river meets the lake, there is a spot called "The Bubbler" where there is some good fishing.  I was given directions by a local and I headed across the lake.


The water was great out there.  There were a few power boats that passed by, but I was no where near them really.  I caught a few waves, but it was a pretty flat paddle. I cut right across the lake.


Right at the mouth of the river, there are a couple little islands.  One has a cross from a snowmobile accident and the other one is made of all shells.  The little shell island, is odd to see out on a lake in Northern Illinois.  Now, it's mostly shells from mussels, but still, the sound of them shifting in the waves makes it feel like you are in the Tropics somewhere.


Well, I never did find the bubbler, but the water was great and I did catch one fish.  I found out later that it was a Sheephead.  I think my next trip is going to be a section of the Fox that I have not hit yet.  From the mouth to Chapel Hill rd is one of the 2 sections of the upper fox that I have not paddled.  Maybe I will leave Lighthouse Marine and paddle down to Epic Deli for a sandwich.....



No comments:

Post a Comment