Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Favorite Part

There are a lot of things I love about paddling.  There are also miles and miles of water that I love paddling.  But there is one part of paddling that I love the most.  Paddling with my kids.  My youngest is just over 2 years old and is getting very comfortable on the canoe.  She even asks for the paddle.  She has no problem walking around on the boat, wearing a lifevest, or leaning over the side to touch the water.


A great place to take a little one is Atwood Lake in the Hollows of Cary.  It is spring fed and is crystal clear.  You can't go out there and not see fish swimming around.  My kids love watching for the fish and frogs that live out there.  We paddle the entire lake and take our time.


This time, my oldest was not able to make it out with us, so the lil one got to snag the front seat of the canoe.  She quickly became the captain of the ship.  


She is a fair captain though.... she let me take a break and she took over the paddling. We didn't go very far, but she has the hang of it!



We were sitting on the far north side of the lake and coasted up to the shore as were fishing.  My little explorer pointed out a giant frog for me when we got to shore.  It sat right next to the tip of the canoe and didn't move.  


There are times when kids get on your nerves and you just want some time to yourself, but when you are out exploring, there is no better co-pilot than a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment