Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fox River Grove to Algonquin, IL


It was the 21st of November and the weather actually cooperated with a planned paddle trip! I hit the water in Fox River Grove, IL at about 7 am and the temp was about 45 degrees. The best part was THERE WAS NO WIND!! The plan was to head about 4.5 miles south to the dam in Algonquin, IL and back.


The weather could not have been better for a trip this time of year. It was overcast, but it added to the feel of the trip. About half way through the trip to the dam, the wind picked up...but it was actually a warm breeze!

There is a lot to see along this stretch of the Fox River. There is a nice mix of homes, forest, and waterfalls? Yea, the are not as large and impressive as some of the waterfalls you may have seen before, but they are pretty cool. I saw about 3 of them along this section. I also saw 4 deer near this little run off creek. They were quick to get back into the woods once they saw me.

After about 2 hours, I hit the half way point of the trip. This picture is of the Algonquin Dam (in the distance). This is one of the many dams on the Fox River and it is the end of the Fox Waterway Agency's jurisdiction. South of this dam, the river changes quickly. It is a lot shallower and more intimate.

On my way back to the put in, I veered off into a little channel. It is little channels like this that make the trip fun. You get to go places that you usually don't get to see. And you get to see things that most people may have NEVER seen!


LIKE A TINY VILLAGE!! That's right, this guy has a small town set up at his pier. I don't know if it is for the holidays or if it is something that he has out all the time. It caught me off guard for sure though. I didn't see it when I was headed into the channel, and I almost missed it on the way out. Luckily, it caught my attention and I was able to double back to take a closer look. I have never seen anything like it...lol

I didn't think I would see anyone else out at this time of year, but this guy was taking his old ChrisCraft for one last rip down the river. It was a beautiful boat. After he blew past, it was about time to watch for my take out point. I was back before I knew it. 4 hours out on the canoe was one of the longest solo trips that I have taken and I was glad I could sneak it in. If this happens to be the last trip of the year for me, I would be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment