Thursday, March 17, 2011

Icy Pelican Run

Being the first 60 degree day of the year, I had to be out on the water. With rain in the forecast, I hit Nippersink Lake first thing in the morning. There was a pretty good wind blowing and in this area, it can really make or break the trip. Even with a steady wind, I decided to hit the water.

Once out on the lake, I was able to hug some shoreline and find some channels to get into some calm water. Even on the open lake, the wind was not much of a factor for the first half of the trip. Any doubts that I should have been out there quickly fell to the wayside as I crossed up the west side of the lake. I came across a section that was still iced over.

This was my first time paddling near ice. The wind was blown right into my side and it wanted to push me into the ice, so that got a little unnerving. The sound that the slushy ice made was awesome. I have never heard anything like it. It was like a 'swoosh' noise that rose and fell with the waves. I could have sat and listened to that all day.

There is a section on this lake that is a sanctioned wildlife area. I came around the edge of the island and was met by about a dozen pelicans. Yes, pelicans. My first thought was, "Are those....pelicans? They can't be." I read later that there have been American White pelicans sighted in Illinois. Shortly after they flew away, a raccoon popped out of the cat tails.


The second half of the loop was not the most pleasant. It was all headwind and I was barely gaining ground. I learned a lot about paddling into the wind pretty quickly.

All in all, I was very happy that I made it out. The ice, pelicans, and calm water made it all worth while. And as crazy as the return trip was, it was a learning experience that I am glad I had. I took a couple waves that were a little spooky, but now I know I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment