Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First Paddle of the Season


I officially started my season. It was a short trip, but it was just enough to get the cobwebs dusted off and to wet my thirst. I dropped in on the Fox River at Water Tower Marina in Mchenry. The air temp was about 40 and the water was.....well, cold. I was also exited to use my new gear on this trip! I had hip waders and new Carhartt rain gear. While the set up is a little on the heavy side, I am not a 'purist' and maybe I am still on the ignorant side. Either way, the gear did what it was intended to do....keep me warm and dry.

The water was absolute glass. I headed north and there was a small breeze once in a while. Nothing that was too overwhelming or cold. The river was moving pretty good. It was a steady decent paddle north. I stopped paddling at one point and lost about 300 feet with the current.

This section of river is all houses and piers, so I was doing some backyard gazing. This house stood out to me. I could feel that this place had some stories to tell.


The sunset was great for this time of year. But then again, a decent sunset on the water blows away a perfect sunset on land.

Water Tower Marina looked like a movie set. I was waiting for Jaws to start ripping out piers..



This was a short trip, but it was a great start to the season. It worked out to be a little less than 3 miles round trip. Since this will be my first FULL season on the water, I am going to keep track of miles paddled. So put 3 on the board!


No comments:

Post a Comment