Sunday, March 11, 2012

First Paddle of My Season

I am back at it!  I know many of you have hit the water already in this warm winter that we had, but I finally got out.  It has been a long time coming and as I pushed from the shore, it felt as if it was yesterday that I was in this canoe.  It was such a great feeling.


I chose to hit the Fox River before the power boats do.  I launched at Lyons Park in Fox River Grove and headed south to the Algonquin Dam.  I was not the only one on the water today either.  As soon as I hit the current, a speedboat past headed north and then I cam across a kayaker also heading north. We passed again on our return routes.  Other than them, I was alone. 


The weather was warm enough to ditch my jacket, but I still kept on my wet gear.  The water was really chilly still.  I also got to see my mascot, the Heron, a couple times out there. It had been a while, so that was very nice to see.  Down towards Algonquin, I ducked down a little channel and came across a swimming beaver that swam across the channel then hit from me. 


There is also a great little nook about half way to the damn that keeps you out of the river and puts you in your own little world.  I hung out in there and had some lunch.  It was silent other than the small waves hitting the shore and the birds.  It was a great little break.


Down at the dam, the wind was blowing quite a bit more.  Luckily, I was paddling into it so it was a little helping hand as I turned around.
This was about a 7 mile trip and it was a great way one to get back on the water with. After being in the boat for a couple hours, I realized that I was a little rusty and that tomorrow is going to be pretty painful.




No comments:

Post a Comment