Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sanctuary In The "No Wake"

I dropped into the Chain-O-Lakes this week for a little sunset paddle. The boat traffic is starting to wind down out on the lakes, but there are still a lot of boats out there. I went out on Tuesday and it was very nice. The weather was great and the boat traffic was fairly light. I stuck to the shoreline, staying inside the 'no wake' areas for protection. Doing so doesn't protect you from the waves, but it does keep the boat traffic at your speed......slow.

I headed out of Lighthouse Marina and paddled North. I passed under the famous "Beer Can Bridge" and watched a new bottle get put in place by the boater in front of me.

I stuck to the East shoreline of Nippersink Lake and made the bend around the point to Fox Lake. The area around Pistakee Lake and Nippersink Lake is all no wake and then once you get about half way up the shore to the North, another no wake area starts and continues around the bend to Fox Lake. Once I got around the corner to Fox Lake, the water changed. It had been nice and calm (other than boat wakes) but once I got around the corner I was fighting a strong breeze and some waves.

I paddled into Mineola Bay and fought the waves, wakes, and breeze for the mile on Fox Lake. The old Mineola Hotel is pretty cool to see from the water so if your in the area, stop by and check it out. There is also a bar there if you are into that.

I paddled back around the point and passed through Nippersink again. This time I passed under the rt 12 bridge to the west of Beer Can Bridge. I was in the mix of some larger boats, but I was in the no wake zone so I was able to carry my own. I came around the back side of the island right there and paddled out to some open water. The area just south of that island is only about 2-3 feet deep but is muddy as heck. There are a few power boaters that cut through that area so be careful. I saw 2 boats pass through as I was sitting there. I cut across to the East side of the lake (another no wake area) and paddled down to the southern point. That is where I hung out in some flat water and watched the sun drop. It was a perfect evening to watch the sunset on the water.




No comments:

Post a Comment