Monday, June 6, 2011

Product Review: Lifetime 'Wave' SOT

Well the weather has finally become warm enough to start paddling the mini yak. I bought my daughter the Lifetime Wave sit on top kayak. This is her first kayak and I was a little uneasy about buying one. I wasn't sure if she would like paddling her own boat and due to her age, I wasn't sure if she would change her 'passion'.

The Wave is a great size for kids and young adults. It is 6 feet long and 2 feet wide. The hull has a tri-hull design for added stability. There are 2 built in rudders in the back for tracking and molded handles on each side for easy carrying. The rear of the kayak is sloped for easy entry from the rear. There are also eyelets to mount a padded seat.

I was very surprised at how stable this kayak is. We dropped it in the pool for a couple reasons; a controlled environment, comfort, and it was the only place my daughter would let me flip her. That was really what I wanted her to get used to. I would let her paddle around the pool, then tip the kayak when she was not expecting it. The first few times she did not fall out of the boat. It really took some effort to tip the kayak enough to where she would slide out of it. That was really good to see. I let her paddle around in the pool with no PFD because she was in a controlled environment and she is a good swimmer. On the lakes, she will be wearing a vest. She is not ready to hit anything with a current yet.

I think I am going to be holding on to this kayak for a while cause my youngest liked it just as much! She liked it so much, it was hard to get her out of it.

So far, I am very happy with the Wave. It has canceled all the concerns that I had with it. I bought it for $150 shipped online, but I have seen them for as low as $100 at local sporting stores. Once in a while, I have seen them for less than that on-line. If you have a little paddler in your life, I think this would be a great first boat for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment