Friday, April 8, 2011

My Nontraditional Gear

I am not interested in being the most traditional paddler on the water, I am just looking to be out on the water.

Like all sports, there are the traditionalists and there are the folks that just like to play the game. Paddling is no different. There are a million products out there that are lighter, more agronomic, faster, warmer, thinner, smaller, ect ect. At this point in my paddling experience, I don't have the funds to spend on the sport, so I use what I can to enjoy the peacefulness of the water.

At this point, I have about $300 into EVERYTHING that I take out on the water with me (including boat). I would love to have nicer gear and a super cool boat, but, I have what I have and I love it.

Here is what comes out with me on the water this time of year.
  • Carhartt Rain Jacket with wrist closures
  • Carhartt PVC coveralls
  • Chemical Handling Gloves (waterproof and warm)
  • Dry Bag with change of clothes and a towel
  • Blanket to kneel on (it feels like sitting in a nest)
  • Kayak Paddle
  • Water Bladder Backpack
  • Neoprene Ski Vest (PFD)
  • 1979 Thin wall Canoe
  • Homemade Portage cart if needed
I love canoeing and I don't mind that I have an odd set up. I am sure I am not the only one that packs some unique gear.....so what do you carry with you that is "out of the ordinary"?

3 comments:

  1. "I have what I have and I love it." I couldn't agree with you more. Did you forget the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all that matters. As long as you are on the water and safe. The I have nice gear but it took more than 40 years of paddling to get to this point. It's all about priorities and time to get there. If I would say you are missing anything right now is time on the water and you seem to be working hard to fix that. Good for you. Nothing replaces experience. Expose yourself to as many experiences as you can afford. Spend your money on getting to the paddle put-in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mascot frog....

    Keep on paddlin..

    ReplyDelete