Like all sports, there are the traditionalists and there are the folks that just like to play the game. Paddling is no different. There are a million products out there that are lighter, more agronomic, faster, warmer, thinner, smaller, ect ect. At this point in my paddling experience, I don't have the funds to spend on the sport, so I use what I can to enjoy the peacefulness of the water.
At this point, I have about $300 into EVERYTHING that I take out on the water with me (including boat). I would love to have nicer gear and a super cool boat, but, I have what I have and I love it.
Here is what comes out with me on the water this time of year.
- Carhartt Rain Jacket with wrist closures
- Carhartt PVC coveralls
- Chemical Handling Gloves (waterproof and warm)
- Dry Bag with change of clothes and a towel
- Blanket to kneel on (it feels like sitting in a nest)
- Kayak Paddle
- Water Bladder Backpack
- Neoprene Ski Vest (PFD)
- 1979 Thin wall Canoe
- Homemade Portage cart if needed